Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Old, Cranky, White Guy Tells All

I reached an interesting new milestone this week. For the first time in my life I was referred to as an "old, cranky, white man". Please indulge me while I take a closer look at this accusation. First: Old. Debatable. When 60 is the new 40 that puts my current age of 55 at about the new 37. I have kids in grammar school. I have a mountain bike. On the other hand, my feet hurt me almost all the time. I get a lot of mail from AARP. I like movies about WWII. I would say the allegation of my being old is too close to call. Now let's look at cranky. When I'm loading the boys in the car every morning, certainly. Cleaning the crawl space under the mudroom? That's a yes. Whenever I find myself dealing with the person who accused me of being old and cranky -- always. Fair enough. The individual would have little evidence of my naturally sunny disposition. And, white man. Busted. Can't wiggle out of that one at all. Not only white, but 3/8 Irish white. Irish and German and Belgian and a dollop of Gallic blood to give me the perpetually misspelled last name I carry.

So let's review -- Old - maybe. Cranky - sometimes. White man - indisputable. I guess it's more true than it isn't. Rats. I was hoping to talk my way out of this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rick Novy said...

My 12-year-old likes World War II movies, so I don't think that's data supporting the old part.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Suzanne R. said...

Old is a change that creeps up on you. Then somehow you adapt and accept. Doesn't take as long as it seems like it might at first. Sounds like that's the stage you're in. You could call it post something (midlife crisis, menopausal, depending). Color has nothing to do with anything unless its newsworthy, like you turn blue. Cranky. That's interesting. I personally feel that I am cranky only because I realized that my youthful mood swings were bizarre and I have toned it down.
Better cranky than what I use to dish out.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Lamar Hayes said...

My kids say because I drive slow I want to be old. I don't understand how not wanting to get speeding tickets makes you old. I guess if it true then I am old. But then, who cares, old is not so bad...beats the alternative

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying "Grammar School" qualifies you as "old"...sorry. Now-a-days us young'uns call it "Elementary School"
:-)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)