Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Look, Ma

Yesterday my four-year-old asked to have the training wheels removed from his bike and then promptly mastered the two-wheeler. He woke up today, put on his helmet, and headed out the door for more. I don't know why watching your children wobble away on two wheels feels so powerful. Honestly, it would feel little better if they flapped their wings and flew. Come to think of it, that's it -- little birds fluttering out of the nest. You swell with pride and fill with dread all at once. Mama birds must feel this too. The little ones are going to make it. Thank God. And they will soon enough be gone. Oh God.

2 Comments:

Blogger piglet said...

Don't worry. Adolescence is designed by God to make you want your kids to leave.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shudder at the thought of my only son 'leaving the nest'. What will I nurture then? I suppose my hubby will always need some type of nurturing but it's not the same. My son isn't in a hurry to leave the nest of course, not like a lot of teenagers today who can't wait to move out on their 18th birthday. The family pet... 5yr-old-cat-with-an-identity-crisis (that's for another post)... is his 'brother'. He told me just the other day on the way to Wal-Mart that he wasn't leaving home until "beanie" was gone. Confirming his wish I replied "So you'll live at home as long as Beanie is there?" "Yes" he replied. I think I'll have the cat stuffed.

Diana

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)