Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Clubhouse


There was a time in my life when I could build three or four full-scale houses in one Alaska building season. So, it is with a mixed blend of pride and defeat that I admit to having finished one half-scale playhouse for my boys over the past two months.

I'd like to be able to say it was a father's love that compelled me to turn it into this storybook cabin. But what was really behind it is a case of chronic immaturity. In essence, this is the cabin I would have built for myself when I was 8 years old had I been in possession of the cash, tools, and skills to pull it off. This is the design we all carried with us in our heads as we dragged our boards and bent nails out into the woods to build our clubhouses. Lofty intentions quickly devolved as our limited resources and talent became apparent. Two boards nailed to trees with a sheet of rotten plywood suspended across them was as close as most of us ever got.

There is no way I know to execute a project like this without thinking about how you would want it if you were a kid. You have to think like a kid to do it. In other words, you have to be a kid for awhile. It's been a good summer that way. As for my boys... they pretend to like it, but I think what they really want is a couple boards and a sheet of old plywood to drag into the woods.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, me and my best friend found the perfect tree for a tree house. It was out in the middle of some farmers field. We spent 2 weeks carrying 2 X 4's and plywood out to this tree to build our tree house. When we were done, the farmer tore it down. There is a KMart there now. Progress stinks.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does it have a wide-screen TV installed yet? Is the satellite dish around back, 'cause I can't see it from this angle? I trust the fridge is plenty big.

If the children get tired of it, you can always use it as a mini sports bar (or whatever manly thing drives you forward).

I want to be your kid next time around.

Nice work, dad.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)