Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Slightly Famous It Is Then

Time Magazine picked up a remark of mine about Katie Couric from last week's WWDTM and included it in the NoteBook section of their June 12th edition. In the wider scope of public recognition this is perhaps slightly better than being the guy featured in the local newspaper handing over the out-sized foam core check to the Rotary club and it feels good in that same strange name-in-the-paper way.

I'm aware that my star in the celebrity firmament is fixed somewhere between Mr. Whipple and the "Where's the Beef" lady and in the same constellation as the dog who played Benji, Susan Stamberg's cranberry relish recipe, and the lyrics to Louie Louie. In other words -- vaguely familiar to most Americans in a way not-so-offensive as to invite general ridicule. Good work if you can get it. My only reason for bringing it up is that I found it remarkable that Time Magazine attributed the quote to me without feeling the need to identify who Tom Bodett is. This is not typical. My bylines usually run the gamut from the severely outdated NPR Commentator, to the dreaded Folksy Pitchman, and erroneous Motelier. Simply leaving my name there to speak for itself means something: Either they had no space for explanation, or they assume people know who the hell they mean. In that case, in reference to my previous blog, I believe this qualifies me to use "Slightly Famous" on my business card should I ever decide to print one.
However, -- just so you all understand that none of this is going to my head because my friends won't allow it -- one of said friends was reported pointing out the quote in Time to another friend with the comment, "Do you think that's our Tom Bodett?"

5 Comments:

Blogger piglet said...

Slightly famous is better than slightly humorous, I suppose. But I think it would be most interesting to be obscurely famous. It's got a "cult classic" ring to it.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
I think you underestimate your celebrity status. You don't fit any of the stereotypical categories as most famous people, you're pretty much a trailblazer in that regard. Ambassador of Goodwill and Fun? :) The closest person I can think of similar to yourself was Johnny Carson. He was also an intellectual, had a unique sense of humor, seemed to genuinely care about and identify with people of every class and level. You're more proactive and make more of a difference, however. Congrats on your win last week! I love Craig Ferguson, I can well imagine he rocked the house.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Cionaodh said...

There was a fellow, David Chase, who used to have a funny column in the Brattleboro Reformer back in the '80s. His columns were so good he wrote a book, A Peasant of West Brattleboro (1987, I think).

Have you heard of him? Probably not, and you're now living in a nearby town. He was hilarious, had me in stitches every time I read his stuff.

Some of us will be slightly famous (or possibly infamous) for one thing or another at some time in our lives. Then, in all likelihood, we'll wander back into obscurity, having touched some lives & minds along the way.

Not everyone remembers David Chase, but I do -- and I'm not even from Vermont. Not everyone recognizes Tom Bodett, or credits him for the accomplishments he'd like them to remember, but he's touched a lot of lives & minds, whether he knows it or not.

Slightly famous isn't so bad -- you've left a good impression and the small dose of "fame" doesn't adversely impact your life. "Incredibly famous" would be a royal pain in the hindquarters. Count your blessings.

;-)

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

slightly famous, how about totally funny, you sense of hunor touches me at my core, it makes me laugh till i cry because i can relate, so keep up the good work. hows the fatherhood going i have three boys 27 18 12 enjoy the ride and craig ferguson he does crack me up, HAPPY FATHERS DAY
as long as we are famous to or children what else really matters...

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I was medium famous once..." Tom Petty from "The Postman". Good movie. Works good on a business card too, I guess. Time Magazine, by not explaining who Tom Bodett is, rates you as a B- List celebrity; they know your voice, but can't quite place the face. Not bad. No one knows me from Adam's odd ox. Maybe this is better.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)