Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Baseball Tonight

I'm listening to the Red Sox-Yankee game on XM. I can hardly imagine anything I'd rather be doing. I've become quite a Red Sox fan since we moved out here three years ago. I have a hard time relating to the long suffering Boston fans who had their hearts broken year after year and finally win the big one. I'm a fan for a year or so and they take the Series. I expect to see them win another. I don't think I'll live long enough to feel cursed, or even denied. After all, I started out as a Mariners fan.

If you live around here you're supposed to hate the Yankees, but I can't sustain it. In fact, every time they gobble up a player I admire -- A-Rod, John Olerud, Randy Johnson, Johnny Damon, et al -- I hate them a little less. I know you're supposed to hate them more and then hate the players who turned coat, but think of it like immigration and the Great Melting Pot. Each time a quality player becomes a Yankee, the team becomes less like themselves and more like everybody else.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except for the money, Tom.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Dean said...

Tom,

My wife ans I moved out of New England a few months ago.

I know what you mean. In New England, the Red Sox are not a baseball team. They're a cult. Sooner or later, everyone drinks the Kool-Aid as you apparently have.

A few months out of there and the mind control has started to wear off a little though I still hate the Yankees.

Yankee hatred feels so much better than Red Sox love any day.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)