Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Horton Hears Nuestro Himno

You think it's bad these darned aliens want to sing our national anthem in Spanish, brace yourself. It gets worse. Try El Gato Ensombrerado on for size. That's right. The Cat in the Hat has gone Espanol and has breached the borders of my all-American household. (Okay, all-Guatemalan-Mexican-Irish-German-Belgian-French-Spanish-
Cherokee-English-Swiss household -- in descending order of percentages). My bilingual wife, thumbing her lovely Hispanic nose at American patriotism, believes our children should grow up bilingual as well. Can you believe it? Right here in my own house people are going around speaking Spanish! And even calling traditionally American things -- like plates and fun-- by their Spanish names. This hurts real Americans. No wonder Rush Limbaugh is addicted to painkillers. When Dr. Seuss showed up in a sombrero I really saw for the first time how out-of-hand things have become. These Spanish speakers are going to be singing our national anthem and reading the children's literature canon in Spanish and actually understanding them!! The next thing you know you won't be able to tell them from ordinary everyday Americans like us and then where in the hell are we going to be? Horton Eschucha a Quien! A who? A what?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom...I'll never forget my Mom, who was 87 at the time, asking me if I really thought there was such a thing as these aliens they talk about all the time on the TV. I said, "Yeah Mom...there is a big political discussion about controlling the border between the US and Mexico from a huge influx of aliens from Mexico." She had a strange, surprised look on her face when she asked me how the aliens got to Mexico in the first place and then that's when I realized that Mom was confusing unnaturalized foreign residents with creatures from outer space. I assured her there were no outer space aliens in Mexico, or the US for that matter and she felt better.

Oh and my first little bit of Spanish I can remember was picked up from the TV show, I Love Lucy. I still remember Ricky reading the children's story Caperucita Roja to little Ricky.

cow cow, horse

Joe

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some nerve "those people" have!

Maybe America should have never let any outsiders in - starting back in 1492.

3:01 PM  
Blogger piglet said...

I recommend the Star-Bellied Sneeches in whatever language. I guess kids could read it too.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your last post. It means something to me also, I have a Lebanese son in law and a French daughter in law. Their children are learning all these languages plus Spanish.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, the 'wait, wait' thing was hilarious.

"She's dead?!"

mnuez

10:25 PM  
Blogger Rickart said...

"No wonder Rush Limbaugh is addicted to painkillers."

I'm so going to use that one as often as I can!

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from an American and Spanish speaking household and I believe that if someone wants to translate something into their language they should. After all this is America not some place off in the middle east. They aren't hurting anyone by it. I think that "Nuestro Himno" is a great song. The U.S. is a melting pot of the world and that it's nice that lanugages want to have an anthem in their language. I believe also that childeren should be bilingual. I know my childern are going to be raised speaking Spanish and English.
Si se puede
And a thing for George C. If you really think about it The people from Spain came here before the pilgrim. Also People lived here before we came here and I'm sire they wished we would leave but we didn't it. Think bout it. I cam be emailed at babygirl16889@yahoo.com if you have issues with what I say.
Adios

1:18 AM  
Blogger Tom Bodett said...

Anonymous,
I hope you understand that I am kidding. Of course I support Spanish being spoken, and my children too will grow up bilingual. Now, if I can just get my own gringo mouth around that beautiful language!
Hasta Luego

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)