Bodett.com BioBodett.com BlogBodett.com BookshelfBodett.com

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Family Avoids Watery Death

After being the parent of two small children for ten days I am happy to report that I have not lost my mind. I have misplaced it several times, but only temporarily. Last Saturday we headed over to New Hampshire to find a Target store in order to lay-in some additional small-child supplies: rubber nipples, rocket cups, bottle brushes, bales of diapers, food grinder, illustrated flatware, etc. We were crammed into a Subaru and the three-year-old was having a tantrum because the six-month-old was having a fit. My wife and I just looked at each other and started laughing. It was that or drive directly into the Connecticut River. From time to time you read in the newspaper about these things happening. Parents of small children are never surprised.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!

4:42 AM  
Blogger Rickart said...

That's awesome! I got 3 (kids, that is) and you've hit the nail on the head.

I love the blog so far... keep up the good work!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Family Avoids Watery Death"...reminds of an example headline the editor of the Gammy Bird might of used when teaching Coyle how to write them in "Shipping News".

4:17 PM  
Blogger piglet said...

I feel unworthy to comment (one child, 21 years old now), but a friend, whose wife recently had their second baby, said to me this morning, "it's not like it's double the work to have two kids, it's like multiplied exponentially somehow," and I thought of you four on your shopping excursion...

8:59 PM  
Blogger Tom Bodett said...

Exponential degrees of work is exactly right. I've used that formula myself. Two kids is four times the work of one and three is eight times, etc. By this measure my long-suffering mother - rest her soul - had sixty-four times the fun slaving for her six crummy kids.
All in all, two is not that much of an adjustment. As I told my wife last night - we used to have very little time for ourselves and now we have none.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have my sympathy sir (if sympathy is the right word). I cannot imagine it. I just can't. That's why I had to make the conscious decision to not be responsible for the next generation. Mainly because I couldn't be. Responsible that is.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© Current Tom Bodett
All Rights Reserved


Reproduction or distribution of any article or portion of this website - such as copying and
pasting into an email to send to all your crummy friends, or harrassing pregnant women,
or for implementation as a flotation device -- is strictly prohibited without written
permission from Bodett.com. We mean it. Don't do it.
Steps will be taken. Oh yes. Steps will be taken.
(Unless you really want to, then go ahead. We don't care.)